I have had such a great day so far... woke up nice and early, cleaned up our messy house, went for a short jog (first of the season... I need to start slowly!), and then finished off with an amazing 75 minute yin yoga class. On my way home, I had an intense craving for tomatoes... so I stopped at Mary's Market on 152 and 40th in South Surrey and picked up some fresh heirloom tom's and a bunch of basil. Lets face it. They were made for each other. A match made in foooood heaven ;) I also had a craving for a Soy Pumpkin Spice Latte... but resisted the urge and simply drove right through the take out window without stopping. Haha
THEN, I created this lovely, simple and super satisfying creation when I got home. It took about 5 minutes to make, and 2 minutes to consume...
As Im writing this Im seriously considering making another one!
Open faced avocado-caprese sandwich
- 1 slice of bread (I used my new fav, Silver Hills Mack's Flax, made from sprouted organic whole grains. Its super delish, I buy 2 from Costco and freeze them till needed)
- 1/2 an avocado
- 3 thin slices of fresh mozzarella (you know, the big ball of cheese in water?)
- 1 tomato (mmmm... heirloom tom's!)
- A few fresh basil leaves
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Toast your slice of bread
- Spread half an avocado onto the toasted bread and mash with a fork
- Top with slices of mozza, tomato, and a few fresh basil leaves
- Drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top, and grind some sea salt and pepper to finish it off.
- Enjoy on its own or with some salad greens drizzled with olive oil and vinegar.
Well, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!